Wednesday 31 July 2013

Forgiveness and Peace - Last Thoughts, by Claire Genkai


Forgiveness and peace

A few years ago I sat a very extended retreat in my monastery on the theme of contemplative care of the dying. It was a collaboration between clinicians and contemplatives. It was also a very deep experiential process, using meditation practices to face into the end of ones life.  Despite this there was a lot of tender laughter and humour in amongst the silence, listening and exploration.

At one point in the process we were asked to walk very slowly and consciously though our lives and to focus on aspects of our behaviour and relationships that we would rather turn away from. As I write this now I realise that a meditation like this is not for the faint hearted! I spent a large part of three hours in a state of reminiscence and appreciation, captivated by emerging memories. Eventually as I settled I found myself facing into elements of my own life that frankly I would have preferred not to look at again.

The slow growth of sensations associated with regret emerged. Faced with no one to listen to my justifications, no ‘reasonable reasons’ to tell myself or others; I simply had to sit with the undefended truth of my behaviour. Regret had a certain palette to it I discovered. There were physical sensations akin to anxiety, heat in my neck and face, occasionally some tears and a feeling of smallness as if any ego or pride that might inflate me was absent.

I don’t know how long that went on for. I only remember that by maintaining simple focus and then alternating with bringing loving kindness to myself as much as I was able, there was a sense of regret dissolving away in me and eventually around some of the issues I faced into; I could experience an inner quiet.

In that moment I experienced a distinction between guilt and regret. I realised that guilt was a loud story focussed on my discomforted feelings about what I had done. It was compelling and rather self absorbed. Regret on the other hand had an altogether different quality of focussing on the other and on the unskilled nature of my behaviour. It felt less elaborate but quietly more painful. I came to think of regret as the core often wrapped up in my elaborate guilt trips.

Now you might be wondering at this point what all of this has to do with the theme of forgiveness and peace? Or maybe you have already seen exactly where my experience took me?

Over that three hours and for many moments subsequently I came to experience what it is to face into regret, to let the stories and self serving habitual sensations of guilt drop away, and to offer myself forgiveness for my lack of skill. Each time I was able to move towards that state of embodied forgiveness, the act of placing a metaphorical hand over my heart/mind, I noticed a deep peace. The kind of peace that comes from letting the life you have lived in all its hues, move through you.

It was only when I was able to experience an embodied forgiveness of myself by myself that my compassion for those who had treated me unskilfully could really flow. By flow I do not mean words or sentiments; I mean an undeniable energetic movement of warmth and care towards another who has caused you suffering.

I have sat with many people who are dying and with their families and friends. Firstly it is a mistake to believe that every dying experience is suffused with insight, reconciliation and love. If we wait for the dramatic phase shifts of our life to happen before we face into what we need to forgive in order to be at peace, we may not have enough time, or enough life force to do it well.

These days I make it a daily practice to face into the situations I would rather not look at again. I expect to feel difficult about them and I tell myself this is just natural. I expect to have to wade through my reasonable reasons and justifications before I can simply accept that ‘yes…. I did that’. With practice what has followed is more tenderness towards myself and others and as a result my state of inner peace has grown.  By doing this I deeply accept we are all imperfect. I can be at peace about that!

In gassho Claire Genkai

No comments:

Post a Comment